Icentia is aware of the importance of protecting patients’ privacy and is sensitive to handling their personal information appropriately. Icentia is committed to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly and only as required to provide its services.
1. Accountability for Personal Health Information
Icentia is committed to privacy by implementing privacy related procedures and policies to protect the personal health information it holds. Icentia staff must abide to the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) requirements and any applicable rules of professional conduct, covered within our policies and procedures.
2. Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Health Information
Icentia only collects uses and discloses personal information for the following purposes:
- To safely identify a patient in the context of performing clinical data analysis and providing results to health care practitioners.
- To safely identify a patient in the context of communicating with health care practitioners and organizations where the data is required for the health care of the patient.
- To comply with the legal and regulatory framework of relevant legislation and to comply with any other requirements mandated by a government authority.
3. Consent for the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Icentia assumes that a patient’s request for treatment constitutes implied consent for specific purposes, unless expressly instructed otherwise. Icentia directly or indirectly collects personal information from health care practitioners and health care organizations in the context of the prescription of tests involving at least one of its product or service.
4. Limiting Collection of Personal Health Information
Icentia limits the collection of personal information to the purposes identified in this Policy.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Health Information
Personal Health Information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which the information is collected or as required or permitted by law.
6. Accuracy of Personal Health Information
Icentia will take proper and reasonable steps to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
7. Safeguards for Personal Health Information
Icentia takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that personal information, whether recorded electronically or on a physical support, is protected from loss, theft, unauthorized access, modification, use, copying, disclosure or tampering.
All Icentia employees are made aware of the importance of maintaining the security and confidentiality of all personal information in our possession.
8. Openness about Personal Health Information
Icentia is committed to make readily available specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal health information.
9. Individual Access to Personal Health Information
Icentia will respond to a patient's request for access within reasonable timelines and costs to the patient, as governed by law, following written consent from prescribing physician/organization.
An individual will be able to address a challenge or complaint concerning compliance with the above principles to the Icentia Chief Privacy Officer.